Recent comments

• Runner's high   2 years 41 weeks ago

Fela Kuti -- his songs are long but have the best running beat and this one reminds you to hydrate

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 41 weeks ago

Just get a DB8 antenna, a rotator, and enough RG6 cable. Mount the antenna on your roof, connect it as soecified on the rotator manual (very, very easy!) to your antenna connector on your TV, then scan. You will be amazed with the results. It worked for me, I am watching HD TV for without paying one bill. The best part: "I decommissioned the TWC outlet".

• Vine Talk on WXXI-TV   2 years 41 weeks ago

What have been your recent favorites of Pinor Noir? Why did you preder them?

I want to try some.

Thanks

Karen

• American Experience: Freedom Riders   2 years 41 weeks ago

I knew people had ridden buses through the South to test people's reactions... I knew they had been brave and had made a difference, but there's so much more! I learned so much and I was moved to tears. This is a wonderful and informative film. I couldn't walk away from it. Thank you.

• Mystic Voices: The Story of the Pequot War   2 years 42 weeks ago

I don't know of a place to view the entire movie online, but you can find out more information about the film and the filmmakers at http://www.pequotwar....

I hope this helps!

• Reggie Perrin on WXXI-TV   2 years 42 weeks ago

Hi Kathleen,
    We may be able to sneak in one more play of Reggie Perrin at some point this year - Where and when exactly, I am not sure. I hope that you are enjoying William and Mary on Saturday nights! In other Martin Clunes news --> We will be playing the newest season of Doc Martin this spring and we have a few specials that we plan to work in as well -
    Doc Martin: The Movie,
    Doc Martin: The Legend of the Cloutie,
    and Martin Clunes: Man to Manta.

So much to look forward too! Thank you for writing to us!

~Irene Fink
    TV Program Director

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1206   2 years 42 weeks ago

I have listended to With Heart and Voice for more than 15 years. I richly enjoy each broadcast and today was no exception. As an Afican-American growing up in Nashville, Tennesse it was a joy to sing many of the songs featured in the broadcast. It was also wonderful to regularly experience live performances of Negro Spirituals sung by the Fisk Jubilee Singers and a host of other groups in the area. Today's program took me back to my roots in Nashville and conjured up warm memories of my childhood. Thank you for the program honoring Black History Month.

• Reggie Perrin on WXXI-TV   2 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for getting us all hooked on Reggie Perrin, last year. I have never laughed as hard at a television program as I did watching that one!
    Is there any plan to air it again?
    Actually, any program with Martin Clunes is a treat, but Reggie is absolutely the funniest.
    Thanks, again!
    Kathleen

• World on Trial "France's Headscarf Law"   2 years 42 weeks ago

I agree that the law will not protect the girls from the abusers at home. Although it would allow them brief relief from said abusers when they are at school and not leave open further abuse from peers.
    A deeper issue is the archaic beliefs and actions of a religious race that affords abusers free reign to maim and kill girls and women for egocentrism. If a religion allows this it is the religion that should be under trial and claimed a dangerous cult. An action as such would indeed bring more terrorism and perhaps a world war.
    Freedom from these terrors can only be accomplished through generational education.

So all said and done, the schools are a good place to start. These girls can find self empowerment at school and perhaps eventually free themselves from their abusers.

A river begins with a single rain drop.

I pray for these girls and women and the state of the world as a whole.

• Essential Pepin MARATHON   2 years 42 weeks ago

We're so happy that you enjoyed the Essential Pepin MARATHON!

All of the recipes featured in the MARATHON, including all the ones you are looking for, can be found on the Essential Pepin website at http://blogs.kqed.or...

Enjoy!

• Essential Pepin MARATHON   2 years 42 weeks ago

Can you please let me know how to get the recipes for the following dishes you prepared on the marathon of 1/28/12. So far, I haven't found the way to get them using the Internet.

Cheesecake With Apricot-Blueberry Sauce
    Flan A La Vanille With Caramel-Cognac Sauce
    Chocolate Mousse
    Bread And Butter Pudding

Thanks very much

Jackie Kinkade

• Mahler, Mahler, Mahler   2 years 42 weeks ago

Hi Brendan! So cool that you found my new corner on the radio/internet. It's nice to know that some friendly ears are out there:) Hope all is well back in WV.

I'll look up those suggestions -- I like Preisner's "Silence, Night, and Dreams" quite a bit, so I'm happy to explore his work a bit more. Reijseger is completely new to me. Also, 'Heddy's Folly' looks like a good read (on to the list it goes!)

Mahler's Fourth was pretty...but not as immediately exciting to me as some of his other symphonies. Not sure if I just wasn't in the right frame of mind or what. Have fun at the WVSO (yay, New World!), and wave hi to the Clay Center and Hallelujah for me!

• Mahler, Mahler, Mahler   2 years 42 weeks ago

I'm jealous - will try to keep track in future seasons of upcoming Mahler performances. Have loved those I've seen WVSO perform. Hoped to plan vacation around a Mahler Symphony this year but it looks like finances will prohibit that idea. I've been listening to the stream occasionally. Glad to be able to hear you in WV - John Ireland was a new name for me, and I loved the piece you played from him today.

My favorite classical discoveries recently have been film composers - for example, check out Zbigniew Preisner's Lacrimosa and Ernst Reijseger's Cave of Forgotten Dreams on youtube. I also got New World Jazz by Michael Tilson Thomas after reading about George Antheil in the book 'Hedy's Folly'. And I'm looking forward to WVSO's Bruckner and Dvořák next month - the New World Symphony coincidentally within a month of my Naturalization ceremony.

Anyway, congratulations on moving to the big city! I'll continue to listen when I can.

• Super Drama Sunday with Masterpiece Classic on WXXI-TV   2 years 42 weeks ago

I can't wait for this event! I just "discovered" Downton Abbey a few weeks ago and it is THE BEST show on television! I am also a viewer of WXXI for "Keeping Up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By" on Saturday evenings and I'm beginning to believe that British TV is far better than American! The dramas are better and even the comedy at least is as good as ours! Hope these three shows mentioned will continue on for years! Wonderful viewing!!!

• World on Trial "France's Headscarf Law"   2 years 42 weeks ago

HEADSCARF LAW OF FRANCE:
    The definition of Freedom is: 1: THE QUALITY OR STATE OF BEING FREE AS A: THE ABSENCE OF NECESSITY, COERCION, OR CONSTRAINT IN CHOICE OR ACTION. b: liberation from slavery, … c: the quality or state of being exempt or relaeased from something onerous 2a: a political or civil right b: franchise.” Page 205, Merriam’Webster’s Dictionary of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts, Copyright 1996; presently used as a text book in our junior colleges.
    This law of France against the headscarfs is just as “unnecessarily coercive” as the law of the Muslims that their women “must” ware the head scarf.
    The Muslim girls and ladies did not ask for a law to keep them or their sisters from any thing, only for freedom NOT TO BE COERCED TO WARE THE HEAD SCARF. Otherwise they would have been just as immoral as their men.

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for the suggestions to many of you...
    I just lost my local channels today via TWC - I went and manually selected a couple of the channels that were now missing and it worked. However, I jumped up to the 100s and found the same channels, BUT in HDef...so I decided to rescan and load the new channel locations. It worked like a charm!

Good luck!

• Mahler, Mahler, Mahler   2 years 43 weeks ago

Hey interesting topic, enjoyed the read ;)

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 43 weeks ago

i have a different cable provider, but i solved the problem by buying a 3 way splitter (1 for internet, 1 for basic cable and 1 for dtv channels. what i did was rescan the channels but you have to unhook the basic cable and hook up the other cable direct to cable and rescanned. using quick connects would be better.

i have just recently bought a tv tuner, connected directly into that with my cable, rescanned using windows media center (you only get the basic cable wihich i pay for). then i scanned again using the software provided with the tuner and receive all the dtv channels in my area. i have to switch back and forth, but it works. also, with the media center software, i get a listing of the tv shows.

the cable companies are out the scam you out of your last dime, and i would suggest writing you local congressman, if they get enough complaints maybe they can lean on the cable providers. since they have deregulated everything this else, this would be a good one to work on. the first provider that can get thru the fcc rules and offers a monthly online only (no box, can you believe it) will be the one that sets off the price wars.

hope this helps.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1204   2 years 43 weeks ago

Hello, Susan -

You're thinking of "Come, My Light" by Canadian composer Imant Raminsh, who was born in Latvia, and emigrated to Canada a number of years ago. A gorgeous piece!

Peter DuBois

• FRONTLINE: The Meth Epidemic on WXXI-TV   2 years 43 weeks ago

I was very intrigued that the DEA would go as far as regulating the sell of pseudoephedrine all over the world so it could stop the destruction of mostly white addicts by crystal meth. I thought this to be extremely radical, and confirmed my suspicions that this government is only concerned about saving white addicts from meth while black folks who suffer much greater destruction and face much greater perils during their addiction to crack are left exposed to one of the worse scourges since the black plague. My question is why isn't this government regulating the supply, distribution, and sell of baking soda which is the primary ingredient for producing crack. Who much needs baking soda anyway, other than to make cakes and cookies. I refuse to believe that baking soda has a much greater importance than pseudoephedrine. What is wrong with this picture? This frontline episode only provided more proof that crack is intentionally targeted to blacks, and that there is no concern or strategy by this government to ever change that. Thank you Frontline for your unbiased and objective report on a subject that we blacks already knew so painfully well: That this government will do whatever it can to save the lives of whites, while turning a blind eye to the systematic destruction of blacks who are unfortunately caught in the grips of crack addiction. Taking all the baking soda off the shelves and placing it behind the counter, and having folks register for it, could very well be a step in the right direction. Why not give it a try. It couldn't be any worse than it is now.

• Model T's to War: American Ambulances on the Western Front   2 years 43 weeks ago

Darvin,
    Yes, the program will play again on our World Channel this coming Thursday (1/26) at 5am and 11am and again at 6am on Friday (1/27).

Glad to hear that you liked what you've seen thus far!

~Irene Fink
    TV Program Director
    WXXI Public Broadcasting Council
    280 State Street
    Rochester, New York
    14614

Email: Ifink@wxxi.org

Go Public with WXXI!

• Model T's to War: American Ambulances on the Western Front   2 years 44 weeks ago

Dear WXXI

I watched the end of "Model T's to War: American Ambulances on the Western Front" last evening. Unfortunately I did not view it in its entirety. What I viewed was extremely educational and would like to see the whole program. Will this program be offered again?

Regards

Darvin

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1204   2 years 44 weeks ago

About halfway through the January 22 program you played this piece, in Eastern style. I thought the composer name sounded like Eamon Radage, but can't find anything like that. Could you please enlighten me? It had a female part that just repeated "Come." Thanks.

• Mystic Voices: The Story of the Pequot War   2 years 44 weeks ago

Is this video available for online viewing?

• All I ever needed to know about classical music (I learned from the Music Lover’s Handy-Dial Guide)   2 years 44 weeks ago

I love little finds like this! I can only hope there is more to be said about me someday than "Died Insane." :-)