From the President
August is almost here and now we’re in the thick of the dog days of summer. I hope you have a chance to savor this month with some fun activities. We have some great events planned for August and I thought I’d share my top 5 favorites with you:
- Park Ave Fest is here August 2nd and 3rd and we’ll be there with our WXXI/Little Theatre booth handing out fans to beat the heat and share information about our programs, movies, and services.
- Hochstein at High Falls finishes out the season with performances by The Jane Mutiny on August 6 and Pan Loco on August 13. If you haven’t had a chance to attend these free lunchtime concerts in High Falls, I recommend you try to make these two concerts. Bring a lunch and enjoy the music alongside the falls.
- On Monday, August 10 at 6:30 p.m. we’ll be partnering with the Veterans Outreach Center to host a free screening of Service: When Women Come Marching Home, a documentary that depicts the courage of several women veterans as they transition from active duty to civilian life. The screening will be followed by a group discussion led by one of the women featured in the film. This event is part of our Veterans Connections initiative, which you can learn more about by clicking the link.
- We’ve also partnered with the Geva Theatre Center on a Monty Python Film Festival, which runs Wednesday, August 19 -September 9. During the films you’ll have a chance to win tickets to Geva’s production of Spamalot, launching in September.
- The Little has partnered with the Rochesteriat again this year for Movies with a Downtown View, where we show a movie at MLK Jr. Memorial Park at dusk. If you didn’t get a chance to catch Moonrise Kingdom last Friday, Be Kind, Rewind screens Friday, August 14. To learn more about the film, visit TheLittle.org.
And don’t forget every day WXXI and The Little bring you thought provoking films and television shows, in depth local and national news, beautiful classical music, educational children’s programs, community events and so much more. All of this is only made possible with your support. So, thank you!
More Recent Messages
The Weather Channel's forecast for Canandaigua this Saturday is 70 and sunny! That's perfect weather to see public radio’s beloved variety show A Prairie Home Companion at Constellation Brands–Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center. WXXI is pleased to bring this live broadcast of Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion to CMAC on Saturday.
In April WXXI launched Veterans Connections, an initiative designed to help bridge military and veteran needs with community support and awareness. As part of the initiative WXXI is pleased to present several television and radio programs that spotlight the men and women who serve our county.
On Thursday, April 30th we hosted our annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner at WXXI. More than 100 volunteers joined us in Studio A for an evening of good food and great company. We honored several special volunteers including Richard Vuillequez, who received the “Charles M.