Wed, 03/02/2011 - 8:00am
Celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday with the Cat in the Hat and all his friends!
In celebration of Dr. Suess' birthday, WXXI presents a Cat in the Hat marathon on March 2nd. Starting at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, March 2, WXXI-TV/HD (DT21.1/cable 1011 and 11) will air four episodes of The Cat and the Hat Knows A Lot About That! Filled with both adventure and silliness, the animated series is based on Dr. Suess' The Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library book series. Voiced by award-winning actor Martin Short, Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat guides friends Sally and Nick – with a little help from the Fish, Thing 1 and Thing 2 – on fun-filled adventures where they make natural-science discoveries, from how bees make honey to why owls sleep during the day.
Dr. Suess died on September 24, 1991 at the age of 84. During his lifetime he had written and illustrated 44 children's books. The Cat in the Hat is considered the defining book of his career as a children's book author and illustrator. Dr. Suess, whose birth name is Theodor Seuss Geisel, was born on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts. His father and grandfather were brewmasters. Ted's mom used to "chant" rhymes to him and his siblings at bedtime, and Ted credits her for his ability to write.
Cat in the Hat – Read Across America
Every year the National Education Association (NEA) holds a nationwide initiative to help foster literacy in
America. For years this program has been held on March 2nd in honor of Doctor Seuss’ birthday.
Resources available online at the following sites:
- www.seusville.com – A splendifourous adventure into all things Seuss with activities, resources, retail opportunities and more.
- www.nea.org/grants/13003.htm - The NEA’s official Read Across America site is a wealth of resources and background information.
- www.pbskids.org/catinthehat - games and guides to the show with printable activities and more!
- www.pbsteachers.org/catinthehat - education guides and curriculum outlines for using Cat in the Hat in the classroom.
- www.pbsparents.org/catinthehat - parental activities and exploration guides for family fun andadventure.
- www.seussville.com/news_events/seussnews_event.php - The Random House Connection has put together a huge list of retail partners that are going to be holding RAA events all over America.